Monday, October 25, 2010

While you're probably being bombarded with pink ribbons there in Aus....

......spare a thought for the Solomon Islanders ...... RAMSI introduced Pink Ribbon Day to the Solomon Islands 3 or 4 years ago. It's very low key. I heard there was something happening in the city centre today for 2 hours, so I went on down there to buy a t-shirt etc. I ended up being roped into speaking on the loudspeaker to the gathered crowd! I also got to meet the 'first lady'.

Anyway, it broke my heart when I heard what happens here. They have no screening equipment ...... that is, no availability of mammograms for women. Then, when they do find someone has breast cancer, there is no chemotherapy or radiotherapy available. It is only a tiny few who can afford to go to Australia and pay huge dollars for their treatment. The others go home and prepare to die.

The charity that is trying to get screening equipment has about SBD$6,000 in the bank, and need well over a million. If anyone feels they'd like to donate anything to them please email me and we'll figure out a way to do it. Sorry for the 'begging' email, but I had to write it while it was fresh in my mind.

Katrina xx


No comments:

Post a Comment