Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My breast cancer "going away" forum post

Hi All,

Just a quick post to say "I'm off"!! (Things are getting a bit chaotic here and the last few days are going to be so busy I don't know if I'll get a chance to do a goodbye post on the day I leave). As a lot of you already know, I applied for (and got) an 18 month post with Australian Volunteers International to Honiara in the Solomon Islands. I leave Adelaide on Sunday, and Australia (from Brisbane) on Monday morning. I'll have a couple of weeks orientation when I get there, then start work in a Primary School as an "Admin/Accountant Trainer". That means I'll be helping them put financial processes and controls into the school, and helping their Admin Manager build up their financial skills.

I'm so excited! I applied for this back in January, so it's been a long time coming. Am really annoyed that I now have a nasty cold for my last few days of getting prepared to leave. I had a farewell party on Saturday night and kissed too many people I think! :pmsl:

To all of you newbies that have just been diagnosed, or are going through treatment at the moment, and you have doubts about your future - you WILL be able to follow your dreams when you've got through your treatment. I probably wouldn't be doing this if I hadn't got breast cancer. 3 years ago there was no way I believed I would be able to do anything like this. If I hadn't got breast cancer I probably would have just talked about doing something like this, and not actually done it.... just put it off until I was too old to do it! Now, well I may have horrible joint pain (but it's controlled fairly well) and hot flushes (that is going to be a real challenge in the Solomon Islands climate), but I'm just going to go along for the ride anyway! All I know is a few months ago I thought "I don't want to by lying on my death bed sometime in the future thinking 'I wish I went to the Solomon Islands'"!

I will have internet there, but not as reliable and good as I have here. I will still keep in touch. I have a blog I've started if anyone wants to read and see photos. It is here http://adelaidekat.blogspot.com/ . A number of you are also already my friend on Facebook, but if you aren't and would like to add me I am here... http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/katrina.potter (I think that will get you to me, or if not just search on Katrina Potter). I will be back in Aus for a visit every 6 months for visits with my Oncologist and Surgeon. That means I'll be back for Christmas.

I'm renting my house to my 18 year old son and a couple of his friends...... everybody says "well good luck with that" when I tell them :pmsl: Who knows what I'll come back to! I've promised him I'll stay home tonight (have been going out to farewells etc. a bit the last week or 2) because I think he's starting to stress about everything he doesn't know. I need to spend some time reassuring him that he will be fine, and that he's not alone. His Dad is nearby and my sister is close by too. Up until now he's just been looking forward to me going, but now I think he's starting to realise it's really happening. I assure him I'll still be able to nag him from the Solomon Islands :pmsl: He'll probably come over for a visit next year (along with my sister and Dad).

Anyway, that's about it. I'll keep in touch. Take care all of you lovely ladies and keep being there for each other :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are having a great time! WOW what a opportunity! I wanted to say thank you for having a blog like this, it is truly inspiring! I have been greatful for websites and blogs such as yours, and websites like www.breastcanceranswers.com for all of my questions, and concerns and to be able to read blogs like yours and know there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is a great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you.
    BEST INFORMATION ABOUT BREAST CANCER.

    ReplyDelete